Here is our recipe for pickling chillies:
Pickled chillies are great with kebabs or as a side to a ploughmans and a great topping on a pizza.
Vinegar mix: Usually about 2/3rd of the volume of the jar
For a medium Kilner jar (560ml):
200ml of white-wine vinegar
200 ml water
Chillies: approximately 200g of fresh washed chillies
For whole chillies such as long, thin Turkish Pickling, pierce each one with a sharp knife to allow the pickle mixture to reach inside the chillies.
1. Heat the vinegar mix ingredients in a saucepan until it reaches boiling point.
2. Cram the whole or sliced chillies into a sterilised jar until the jar is 80% full.
3. Take the vinegar off the heat, pour into the jar until the chillies are covered.
4. Seal the jar with the lid and invert for a couple of minutes.
5. Leave in a cool cupboard or fridge for a week or so before eating.
6. Once opened, store in the fridge.
To sterilise the lids and jars: put them through a hot dishwasher cycle that is at least 60C. Do not dry them with a tea towel, leave them to air dry. You can also preheat the oven to 140C/120C Fan/Gas 1, wash the lids and jars in hot water and place them in the oven for 15 minutes.