Sweetcorn Shoots (aka Corn Shoots/Popcorn Shoots) are quick growing microgreen that is harvested after only 7 days when they are about 7cm tall. These bright yellow leaves have a very intense sweet flavour that adds a colourful, crunchy garnish to salads and other dishes.
In order to develop the sweet taste and bright yellow colour, Sweetcorn Shoots need to be grown in a warm place in complete darkness from sowing to picking - It’s imperative that the corn shoots aren’t exposed to sunlight. When they are, corn shoots develop chlorophyll in the leaves and start photosynthesising, turning the corn shoots green. This may not seem like a big deal, but exposure to light will actually turn the flavour bitter. The Sweetcorn shoots will also become more fibrous and inedible, like a corn husk.
If you were to peek under the tray, you’d see that the kernels grow thin and light yellow corn shoots. These plants are monocots, meaning they only grow a single cotyledon. The cotyledon leaves are long and flat, unfolding from a tubular stem. In fact, sweetcorn shoots kind of grow like yellow, scraggly grass leaves.
Sweetcorn Shoots are quick growing microgreens with an intensely sweet flavour and are the perfect garnish that adds flavour and colour to a dish.
How to grow Sweetcorn Shoots Microgreen Seeds:
3 x Growing trays
Sweetcorn Microgreen Seeds
Soak the seeds for at least 8-12 hours. Drain and then rinse.
1. Sow your seeds directly on thoroughly moistened medium in a tray with holes, place in another tray without holes. Lightly mist the seeds
2. Place another tray on top to keep light out and moisture in. You may need to cover with a cloth to keep all light out...or place them in a cupboard...either way you absolutely must keep them in the dark the entire time
3. Germination will take 2-3 days
4. Keep the medium moist by watering lightly as needed. Don't drench! Water from the bottom by using another tray as a water reservoir.
5. After 6-7 days of growing, the sweetcorn shoots should be 5cm-10cm high with light yellow leaves. This is the perfect time to harvest since sweetcorn shoots will get more fibrous and bitter as they age (when they grow past 10cm). You can harvest the sweetcorn shoots all at once or stagger it, as long as you keep it in the small window when the sweet flavour’s ideal. If the plant has turned green, it’s grown a bitter taste and you’ve run out of time to harvest.
Did You Know?
We now stock growing essentials for Microgeen and Sprouting growers, you can find the full range HERE
Feeling daunted by the world of Microgreens and Sprouting and don't know where to start...then why not have a look at our starter kits for inspiration:
And don't forget to join our Microgreen Club and enjoy year-round benefits HERE
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Orders up to £19.99 pay a flat rate of £1.95
Orders over £20 receive FREE delivery.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.