Jalapeño is pronounced 'halapeno' and originates from Xalapa in Mexico (which it was named after). It is a green bullet shaped fruit of medium length 5-9cm by 2.5cm. It grows to a height of 75-90cm and continuously sets fruit from August onwards.
Jalapeño is a Capsicum annuum which is a species of the plant genus Capsicum native to southern North America, the Caribbean, and northern South America. This species is the most common and extensively cultivated of the five domesticated capsicums. The species encompasses a wide variety of shapes and sizes of peppers, both mild and hot, such as bell peppers, jalapeños, and cayenne peppers. Capsicum annuum is an evergreen Perennial growing to 1m by 1m at a medium rate. It is hardy to UK zone 9 and is frost tender. It is in leaf all year, in flower from July to September, and the seeds ripen from August to October. The species is hermaphrodite (which has both male and female organs).
The fruits do ripen from green to red but they are considered to be of inferior quality in Mexico, and are generally used in a dish called 'chipotle'' that requires the chili to be smoked. Jalapeno's are widely used on nachos and have a medium heat rating of 2,500-10,000.
Jalapeños are used for 'hot pepper' eating contests in the USA. Jalapeño is one of the easiest chillies to grow which produce lots of quality pods that taste great. A real winner!
Did you know that Jalapeño make great pickled chillies too...read our guide on how to pickle chillies [HERE]
PLEASE NOTE - we do not recommend growing chillies on a windowsill, especially the hotter varieties. Chillies need a constant and consistent temperature to germinate and windowsills above radiators do not provide the ideal conditions. Read our Chilli Pepper Growing Guide for advice [HERE]
Jalapeno Chilli Seed Information
|Seeds Per Pack:
|Sow Hot Scale:
||2,500 - 10,000 SHU (View the Scoville Scale)
|When to Sow:
||January - April
|Time to Fruit:
||70 - 80 days
||August - October
When to Sow your Jalapeno Chilli Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier