Amaranth Red Army (also known as Calaloo, Rajgira, Lal Saag) have intense reddish leaves with cherry pink stems and has a slightly nutty flavour. It is very easy and quick to grow microgreen, babyleaf or up to mature leaf size.
Aztec tribes consumed Amaranth for 80% of their diet!
Amaranth has 30% more protein than rice!
And it also adds a mega fibre boost to your diet too!
Amaranth Red Army adds colour, flavour and texture to a fresh home-grown gourmet salad when harvested at microgreen or babyleaf stage but large mature sized leaves should be steamed and used like spinach.
Amaranth Red Army grows at a rate of knots and can germinate within 3 days and will be ready to eat at microgreen stage within 9 days and baby leaves take up to 3-4 weeks. Amaranth Red Army is quick and easy to grow and can be used at different stages of development and is a great leaf to add flavour and colour to meal times.
Amaranth also is a great spinach replacement when grown outdoors. If you find that your spinach and chard bolt in summer, then this veg positively thrives in the hot weather!
How to grow Amaranth Red Army Microgreen Seeds:
3 x Growing trays
Amaranth Red Army Seeds
Culture - For Growing As A Microgreen
Amaranth likes a warm environment, so it's advised to find a warm location for the growing period.
1. Sow your seeds directly on thoroughly moistened medium
2. Gently spray the seeds
3. Place the tray with the seeds into another tray, without holes - this tray will be used at a later stage as the watering tray
4. Place another tray, without holes, on top to black-out light and place a weight inside so that it helps the seeds maintain contact with the medium and force the roots to grow downwards.
5. Leave the seeds for 2 days, there will be enough moisture in the tray so no need to water
6. On day 3 check the seeds, if the medium is a light brown colour then lightly spray with water and if the seeds are less than 1cm in height, place the tray back on top to continue to black-out
7. By day 6 the seeds should be ready to be placed in a well lit location
8. When watering, water from the bottom by using the bottom tray as a reservoir
9. Harvest around 9-14 days when the plants are at least 3cm tall using scissors or a sharp knife and cut just above the medium
Did You Know?
We now stock growing essentials for Microgeen and Sprouting growers, you can find the full range HERE
Feeling daunted by the world of Microgreens and Sprouting and don't know where to start...then why not have a look at our starter kits for inspiration:
And don't forget to join our Microgreen Club and enjoy year-round benefits HERE
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Orders up to £19.99 pay a flat rate of £1.95
Orders over £20 receive FREE delivery.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.