Wheatgrass contains an abundance of vitamins, minerals and amino acids. The seeds germinate rapidly into beautiful greens that can be juiced or used to enhance the flavour of your favourite salad.
Wheatgrass contains 20 amino acids, several hundred different enzymes not found in other foods and as many as 92 out of 102 possible minerals, vitamins and other important nutrients found in soil. It also contains 17 amino acids, the building blocks of protein. Wheatgrass’s multitude of essential vitamins, minerals and enzymes can help the body reach and maintain the optimal level of health.
Wheatgrass is loaded with vitamins including all of the B group vitamins, A, C, E, and K. It also contains minerals such as magnesium, calcium, potassium and zinc among many others.
We are delighted that our Wheatgrass is grown and processed in Lancashire.
And it's great for your pets too!
Both cats and dogs need a little grass in their diets, especially if they do not spend a lot of time outdoors. So if you have a pet, growing Wheatgrass is a great idea. This grass is also called intermediate wheatgrass, but it is not the wheat from which bread flour is made. This is originally an Asian pasture grass that was introduced many years ago for pasture and fodder. You can grow it in pots for your indoor pets, or plant it in beds outdoors for animals that spend time outside.
Some experts think that it helps cats deal with hairballs, adds fibre, and even supplements their diet with folic acid. It is thought that dogs need fibre, and they need greens as part of their naturally omnivorous diet. Both cats and dogs seem to crave grass from time to time.
How to grow Wheatgrass Seeds:
Jar or bowl for soaking
3 x Growing trays
Quick Growing Sprouting Guide
- Soak seeds in a jar or bowl for 8-12 hours. It's important to make sure that all the seeds are covered - Wheat seeds will float- so you need to find a way of keeping them submerged
- Drain off soak water
- Rinse and drain repeatedly for the next 8-12 hours
- When the seeds have the tiniest of roots showing plant on thoroughly moistened medium
- Cover the crop with another tray to keep light out and moisture. Ideally use a tray with holes in as a cover tray as this will aid air circulation, especially during warmer summer months
- Keep the growing moist by spraying lightly
- When the plants are 2.5-5cm remove the cover and move to a well-lit location
- Harvest when the plants are 10cm-30cm tall
- Cut them just above the growing medium with either scissors or a sharp knife
Wheat can also be grown as a Sprout, here are the instructions:
Sprouting Growing Guide
Sprouter or Mason jar with Sprouting Lids
- Soak the seeds for 6-12 hours. Seeds can be placed in the bottom of the Sprouter and then cover with water. To ensure all seeds are fully soaked and submerged, place the grid over the water and seeds
- After the initial soak, if using a jar, the water needs to be emptied and filled back up with room temperature water
- Take the grid out of the Sprouter and rinse the seeds under running tepid water. Or if using a Mason jar, turn the jar upside down and let the water drain out, the seeds should be left damp and not swimming in the water
- Rinse 2-3 times per day with room temperature water
- Wheat seeds don't need light to germinate so you can keep them in a low light environment. Growing in light may make them taste bitter
- Continue the rinse cycle until harvest, typically 2-3 days, when the seeds have short roots
- If growing in the Sprouter, the seeds can be left and harvested at whatever height you prefer
Did You Know?
We now stock growing essentials for Microgeen and Sprouting growers, you can find the full range HERE
Feeling daunted by the world of Microgreens and Sprouting and don't know where to start...then why not have a look at our starter kits for inspiration:
And don't forget to join our Microgreen Club and enjoy year-round benefits HERE
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier