Radish Daikon microgreens have beautiful white stems and deliciously light green leaves. Unlike other radishes, Daikon is less spicy and has a sweet and light peppery taste. They are rich in vitamins and are suitable for sprouts or microgreens.
Radish shoots have a slightly spicy flavour and will be ready to eat in 2-3 days for shoots and 7 days for microgreens. In the first few days, radish seeds can develop white hairs and these can lead to mould forming. The hairs are an indication that the seeds are not being rinsed often enough, rinse vigorously under running water to remove.
Radish Daikon can be grown as a Microgreen or as Sprouts.
How to grow Radish Daikon Seeds:
Radish Daikon Seeds
Culture For Growing Radish Daikon As Sprouts
1. Make sure that the Sprouter is super clean and sterile.
2. Place the seeds in the bottom of the Sprouter (no grid tray in place).
3. Cover the seeds with tepid water. Stir the seeds to ensure that all the seeds get soaked, a vital process for smaller seeds. (Use water that is at room temperature, water that is either too hot or too cold can shock the seeds and also slow the germination process).
Don't put too much seed in the tray, allow the seed sufficient room to expand… insufficient space will lead to mould issues as air cannot circulate sufficiently.
4. After the initial soak of 8-12 hours, skim off any floating seeds, empty the water by using the grid tray, so that the seeds get caught in the grid, the seeds should be left damp and not swimming in water. Drain as much of the water as possible.
NOTE - if using small seeds then the Bamboo paper needs to be placed on top of the grid otherwise the seeds will fall through the grid tray!
5. Place grid tray with seeds in the Sprouter and cover with clear lid.
6. Rinse 2-3 times per day with room temperature water, by running water through the seeds on the grid tray. Use lots of water and if possible, rinse under high-pressure water. Drain as much of the water as possible.
7. Continue rinse cycle until harvest.
8. Harvest on day 6, when the leaves are open and most are green.
9. De-hull before refrigerating.
Hulls may be removed but they are not harmful to eat, removal helps to minimise spoilage in storage.
Culture For Growing Radish Daikon As Microgreens
3 x Growing Trays
Radish Daikon Seeds
- Soak seeds for 6-8 hours
- Sow 2-3 teaspoons of seed for a half seed tray on thoroughly moistened growing medium
- Cover your crop with another tray, or a plate - to keep light out and moisture in
- Keep your compost moist by watering lightly as needed. Don't drench
- Use Coconut Coir and you likely won't have to water at all after planting!
- When your plants have begun to show leaves, remove the cover and move your crop to a well-lit location
- Harvest when the leaves are open and 2cm - 7cm tall (day 5-14)
- Cut just above the medium, with scissors or a sharp knife
Did You Know?
We now stock growing essentials for Microgeen and Sprouting growers, you can find the full range HERE
Feeling daunted by the world of Microgreens and Sprouting and don't know where to start...then why not have a look at our starter kits for inspiration:
And don't forget to join our Microgreen Club and enjoy year-round benefits HERE
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier