Lentil Green Microgreens are one of the most popular microgreens, certainly one of our favourites too! Lentils come in many colours but this particular variety is light green in colour and as it sprouts it reveals inside its light yellow colouring.
Lentils are fun and easy to grow, both as a microgreen and as sprouts. As microgreen Lentils are long and spindly, whilst sprouts are small and crunchy with a nutty taste.
Feel free to mix with Red Lentils for a highly nutritious and great looking combo.
Culture For Growing Lentil Green Sprouting Seeds:
Lentil Green Microgreen Seeds
1. Make sure that the Sprouter is super clean and sterile.
2. Place the seeds in the bottom of the Sprouter (no grid tray in place).
3. Cover the seeds with tepid water. Stir the seeds to ensure that all the seeds get soaked, a vital process for smaller seeds. (Use water that is at room temperature, water that is either too hot or too cold can shock the seeds and also slow the germination process).
Don't put too much seed in the tray, allow the seed sufficient room to expand… insufficient space will lead to mould issues as air cannot circulate sufficiently.
4. After the initial soak of 8-12 hours, skim off any floating seeds, empty the water by using the grid tray, so that the seeds get caught in the grid, the seeds should be left damp and not swimming in water. Drain as much of the water as possible.
NOTE - if using small seeds then the Bamboo paper needs to be placed on top of the grid otherwise the seeds will fall through the grid tray!
5. Place grid tray with seeds in the Sprouter and cover with clear lid.
6. Rinse 2-3 times per day with room temperature water, by running water through the seeds on the grid tray. Use lots of water and if possible, rinse under high-pressure water. Drain as much of the water as possible.
7. Continue the rinse cycle until harvest, typically 2-3 days.
8. De-hulling before refrigerating is not necessary.
Culture for growing Lentil Green Microgreen Seeds:
3 x seed trays
Lentil Green Microgreen Seeds
- Soak the seeds for 8-12 hours
- Fill a tray with growing medium and thoroughly moisten
Sow the seeds on top of the compost. You can sow them very close together‚ leave a gap the size of a pea between each seed
- Place another tray on top of the seeds and place a weight in the tray so that the seeds are forced to grow their toots downwards
- Keep weighted until the seeds have germinated and are pushing against the tray
- Remove weighted tray and place tray over the top of the seeds keeping light out and moisture in, how plants until about 2cm tall
- Remove top tray and move to a well lit location for the seeds to green up
- Keep your compost moist by watering lightly as needed. Don't drench!
- Use Coconut Coir and you likely won't have to water at all after planting!
- Harvest when the leaves have developed on the stalk (day 12-14).
- Cut just above the medium, with scissors or a sharp knife.
Did You Know?
We now stock growing essentials for Microgeen and Sprouting growers, you can find the full range HERE
Feeling daunted by the world of Microgreens and Sprouting and don't know where to start...then why not have a look at our starter kits for inspiration:
And don't forget to join our Microgreen Club and enjoy year-round benefits HERE
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier