Red Cabbage microgreen seeds produce bright red leaves with a light, mild, sweet cabbage taste.
They are ready to harvest in 6 days and add a bit of extravagance to a salad and elegance to a piece of fish etc.
Red Cabbage can be grown as both a microgreen and as sprouts.
How to grow Red Cabbage Microgreen Seeds.
Wide mouth jars
Red Cabbage Seeds
Culture For Growing Red Cabbage As Sprouts
Soak the seeds in water at room temperature - there should be enough water to cover the seeds. When choosing a container to soak your seed in bear in mind that seeds swell up to 4 times their original size during this period. The seeds should be left for roughly 12 hours as a guide, beans and grains need at least this length of time and smaller seed may need less. Soaking is how we begin the sprouting process in most cases. Then drain the seed and follow the instructions below.
- Make sure that the jars are super clean and sterile
- Use a screw top lid and simply drill or punch several holes in the lid but not too large, the water needs to be able to drain, but not the seed!
- An alternative could be Muslin cloth secured with a rubber band around the neck of the jar
- Replacement lid with fine sieve built-in
Place seeds in the bottom of the jar and cover with water
2. Use water that is at room temperature water that is either too hot or too cold can shock the seeds. Coldwater can also slow the germination process
3. Don't put too much seed in the jar, allow the seed sufficient room to expand insufficient space will lead to mould issues as air cannot circulate sufficiently
- After the initial soak of 8-12 hours, the water needs to be emptied and filled back up with room temperature water
- Turn the jar upside down and let the water drain out, the seeds should be left damp and not swimming in the water
- Rinse 2-3 times per day with room temperature water
- Continue the rinse cycle until harvest
- Harvest on day 6, when the leaves are open and most are green
- De-hull before refrigerating
Hulls may be removed but they are not harmful to eat, removal helps to minimise spoilage in storage.
Culture For Growing Red Cabbage As Microgreens
3 x Growing Trays
Red Cabbage Seeds
- Soak seeds for 6-8 hours
- Sow 2-3 teaspoons of seed for a half seed tray on thoroughly moistened growing medium
- Cover your crop with another tray, or a plate - to keep light out and moisture in
- Keep your compost moist by watering lightly as needed. Don't drench
- Use Coconut Coir and you likely won't have to water at all after planting!
- When your plants have begun to show leaves, remove the cover and move your crop to a well-lit location
- Harvest when the leaves are open and 2cm - 7cm tall (day 5-14)
- Cut just above the medium, with scissors or a sharp knife
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry .
Click here to view our delivery charges.