Tomato Big Green is a vigorous and high yielding variety that produces very large, round fruits, which can easily weigh 300 grams or more. Used extensively across Italy for the most fantastic flavour when they are cooked. Surprisingly produces a more 'tomato' like flavour than its red cousins!
Big Green provides a large crop of bright green tomatoes that remain green even when mature.
Tomato Big Green is an indeterminate (cordon) variety so will need pinching out & staking when it reaches the required height and this will encourage the plant into putting its energy into growing tomatoes & ripening fruit. We grow this one in our greenhouse but it can be as equally successful outside.
Read our guide on how to make a Comfrey Liquid Feed/Fertiliser to help boost your Tomato crops [HERE]
If you want to boost your harvests then intersow with Birdsfoot Trefoil...why?
Read our blog HERE for further information.
Or sow with a companion such as Pot Marigold to deter whitefly, or Basil, Chives or Mint to ward off aphids.
Tomato Big Green Vegetable Seed Information
||Approx 10 seeds per pack.
Sunny, fertile but sheltered spot or in greenhouse/polytunnel.
|When to Sow:
February to April under cover.
|How to Sow:
Sow seeds thinly in seed trays of seed & potting compost or 2-3 seeds in small pots and cover lightly with a little compost. Firm compost gently and water carefully. Keep in heated greenhouse/propagator at about 15-20C. Transplant into larger individual pots when 10cm tall. 'Harden off' plants for 3-4 days before finally planting them outside from May to June, at a spacing of 45cm between plants. It is best to plant deeply to a depth of 0.5cm below the seed leaves - this helps to give a nice sturdy plant. This variety can also be grown in a greenhouse in a large pot/greenhouse soil or grow bags.
Keep protected if frost is forecast with a fleece or a cloche. They require daily watering and feeding with a high potassium, tomato fertiliser once a week when the fruit has begun to set. 'Big Green' is a cordon plant that will require staking and support as it produces a heavy crop of tomatoes over a long period. Will require side shoots 'pinching out'.
||June to September.
When to Sow Tomato Big Green Vegetable Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier