Broad Bean Imperial Green Longpod (Vicia faba) produces large crops of exceptional pods up to 30cm in length. Each containing up to nine large green, deliciously flavoured beans. Good enough for showing and exhibition use as well as in the kitchen.
Broad Bean Imperial Green Longpod grows to a height of 120cm and produces lovely white flowers with painted purple/black lips on the base petals and black veining on the upper ones. It looks lovely with other plants trailed through it like Sweet Peas or Nasturtiums & this attracts bees etc to pollinate the nearby beans too.
Broad Beans are back in fashion cooked, mashed with garlic & served on a thin French toast with a drizzle of olive oil is delicious & a real taste of summer.
Try companion planting with Summer Savory to keep the aphids away.
If you want to boost your harvests then intersow with Birdsfoot Trefoil...why?
Read our blog HERE for further information.
Broad Bean Imperial Green Longpod Vegetable Seed Information
||Approx 30 seeds per pack.
Any, although rich free draining soil is best.
|When to Sow:
|How to Sow:
Direct sow under cloches in February or without protection from March. Can also be sown under cloches in the autumn for early crops the following year. Prepare soil with well rotted manure or compost. Sow in double rows set 25cm apart and allowing 60cm between each double row or single rows 45cm apart. Sow beans 5cm deep and 25cm apart. Water well. Germination takes 10-14 days.
They will need support so build a frame using bamboo canes and netting, and as the beans grow twine them through the netting. When the first beans begin to form, pinch out the top 8cm to encourage the plants energy into forming more pods. This also helps to discourage black-fly who love the tender shoots. Make sure crops are well-watered through out the season. It pays to protect the crop with cloches or similar protection in very cold periods.
||May to end of July. Harvest pods once beans have begun to visibly swell inside. Harvest plant in stages, starting with the lowest pods first. Small beans are sweeter and more tender than large ones. Pods can be picked when immature to be cooked and eaten whole.
When to Sow Broad Bean Imperial Green Longpod Vegetable Seeds
RHS Award of Garden Merit
||Broad Bean Imperial Green Longpod Vegetable Seeds have been awarded the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit (AGM). This award indicates that the plant is recommended by the RHS and helps gardeners make informed choices about plants. [READ MORE]
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier