Endive Encornet de Bordeaux Seeds are the fine old French heirloom variety with large broad leaves. Extremely hardy, making it particularly suitable for early spring sowing directly into the ground, and lasting well for picking into autumn and winter.
It's a fantastic addition to any salad and you may find other salad varieties insipid and dull once getting a taste for Endive! Although grown like lettuce, it will withstand without complaint both heat and a few degrees of frost. Best if blanched a few days before harvesting and perfect with a home-made French dressing.
Sow from February to October for 'cut and come again' seedlings, if the soil is warm enough, or under glass, or under glass or fleece sowing every three weeks. Sow 'cut and come again' crops in broad drills or containers.
If you've never grown endives, do give them a trial. There are two types of endive: the upright Batavian or escarole with large broad leaves; and the curly or fringed frisee with a rosette of delicately serrated leaves. Curled varieties are used for summer cropping, broad-leaved types are robust and are useful for winter cropping.
Endive Encornet de Bordeaux Seed Information
||Approx 300 seeds per pack.
Soils should be light, rich and free draining, but any soil can be used as long as it is not waterlogged. Dry soil can cause bolting (running to seed), so keep the soil moist.
|When to Sow:
March to September. Underglass from February
Sow from February to October for 'cut and come again'
|How to Sow:
Best blanched a few days prior to harvest approx. 12 weeks after sowing. Tie leaves together and cover with a plastic pot to exclude light (cover drainage holes in the pot if present). Blanching takes 3 weeks in summer, 5 weeks in winter. Blanch a little at a time to ensure a continuous supply.
||Liquid feed every 2 weeks with a general fertiliser.
Harvest whole heads about three months after sowing, when the leaves are creamy white, cutting the stem with a sharp knife. Pick cut-and-come-again leaves from young plants, about a month or more after sowing. They should provide at least a couple of pickings.
When to Sow Endive Encornet de Bordeaux Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier