Forage Rye Green Manure (also known as Hungarian Grazing Cereal Rye) can be used anywhere in crop rotation plans and is one of the best for overwintering as it significantly reduces leaching throughout the winter period.
It's an excellent nitrogen lifter and it can lift and release up to 90% of nitrate to the next crop. Rye has deep penetrative roots that help to break up heavy soils and so improve soil structure. It is brilliant at suppressing weeds as it grows quickly and continues to grow in cold conditions. It suits most soils and copes especially well with heavy clay ones. It does require the correct conditions to germinate in autumn (not too much rain) and watch out for slug/snails who like its tasty leaves and birds who like to nip off the tops!
Forage Rye may be fairly hard to dig in after winter especially on heavy clay soils (good exercise though!) If it is difficult either loosen roots one day and then dig in a couple of days later, or cut down foliage and cover with a light excluding mulch such as black plastic for 3 weeks and it will then be easier to dig in. The foliage can also be added to your compost. Sow August to October and dig in during early spring.
Please note that forage rye releases a chemical that inhibits the growth of small seeds (particularly carrots, parsnips & spinach) so a month should be left after digging it in and before sowing the next crop. It does not pose a problem for transplants or young seedlings.
Need Some Help On Green Manure?
Then we have 2 invaluable resources on our website that will provide the answers to all of your Green Manure questions:
1. A Beginners Guide that covers everything you ever wanted to know about Green Manure in 5 quick and simple steps - read it [HERE]
2. How To Choose Which Green Manure To Sow...a summary of all the Green Manures showing which soil types, plant families, and benefits that each Green Manure can bring to your veg patch or allotment - read it [HERE]
Forage Rye (Hungarian Grazing) Green Manure Seed Information
|When to Sow:
||August, September, October.
Grows to a maximum height of c.40cm
|Ideal Soil Type:
||Excellent for clay soil but suits most types.
||No. Nitrogen LIFTER
|How to Sow:
||Prepare the soil by roughly digging it over and removing any weeds. Lightly tread the soil, and then sow the seeds by broadcast sowing (i.e. scattering evenly) for good coverage. Rows can be sown but are not as good for weed suppression. Rake the soil and water well. In dry periods you may need to water until the green manure is established.
||The green manure should be cut down before flowering when the stems are nice and soft as they decompose quicker, retain more beneficial nutrients and are easier to incorporate into the soil. They can be dug into the soil by turning over into the top 15cms or left on the top as a mulch, the worms will drag down the organic matter and help to aerate the soil.
||17 grams per square metre.
|Pack Weight / Area:
When to Sow Forage Rye (Hungarian Grazing) Green Manure Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier