An afternoon spent in the garden and a surplus of dainty rocket flowers led me to think that Fairy Cakes topped off with these edible flowers might make a very pretty tea-time treat.
I do think these cute little cakes turned out rather well but what I wasn’t expecting was how the flavour of the peppery rocket flowers complimented the sweet icing. A little burst of flavour that is quite hard to pinpoint but very intriguing.
Well worth a try!
Our trusted family ‘Fairy Cake’ recipe but any little cake recipe will do!
- 200g self-raising flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g butter
- 4 eggs
- icing sugar
- freshly picked rocket flowers
- 12 muffin cases
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C.
- Mix together the sugar, flour, butter & eggs in a large mixing bowl until creamy.
- Spoon mixture evenly into 12 muffin cake cases. (We use muffin cases as we like to fill the cases with lots of icing).
- Cook for 15-20mins.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Make up icing as per packet & spoon onto cakes.
- Pop a dainty rocket flower on top.
Why not have a go and perhaps try some other edible flowers when in season like pretty Rosemary or Borage!