Phacelia Tanacetifolia is a quick growing hardy annual green manure that germinates at low temperatures and is ideal for sowing from March until September. It will grow up to 1m in height and is tolerant of cold temperatures and may over-winter if it's not too cold. It suits most soil types but is particularly good in dry ones.
Phacelia does not fix nitrogen but is a very rapidly growing annual nitrogen holder. It is particularly good at attracting bees, hoverflies, and wasps.
Phacelia has beautiful scented purple/blue flowers (it belongs to the Borage family), new seedlings are generally ignored by slugs and once grown will produce dense fern-like foliage. It smothers weeds and has an extensive root system that improves the soil structure. However, it does self-seed very easily so if it is used as green manure dig in before flowering or cut down and compost the foliage. It flowers from 6-8 weeks from sowing for a period of 6-8 weeks.
Phacelia is listed as one of the top 20 honey-producing flowers for honeybees and is very attractive to bumblebees and hoverflies. (Hoverflies eat a lot of aphids). A small patch could be left to flower, especially near to vegetables to attract pollinating insects to the area, but don't have too many as the insects will feed on the Phacelia rather than the veg. It also makes an excellent cut flower and has a long vase-life with strong stems.
Phacelia is part of the Hydrophyllaceae family so fits into any bed in a crop rotation plan.
Need Some Help On Green Manure?
Then we have 2 invaluable resources on our website that will provide the answers to all of your Green Manure questions:
1. A Beginners Guide that covers everything you ever wanted to know about Green Manure in 5 quick and simple steps - read it [HERE]
2. How To Choose Which Green Manure To Sow...a summary of all the Green Manures showing which soil types, plant families, and benefits that each Green Manure can bring to your veg patch or allotment - read it [HERE]
Phacelia Green Manure Seed Information
|When to Sow:
||March to September.
Grows to a height of c.1m
|Ideal Soil Type:
||No. Nitrogen HOLDER
|How to Sow:
||Remove weeds especially perennials, rake the soil and scatter the seed at a rate of 1g per sq m. Dig in to a depth of 1cm and lightly water in.
||The green manure should be cut down before flowering when the stems are nice and soft as they decompose quicker, retain more beneficial nutrients and are easier to incorporate into the soil. They can be dug into the soil by turning over into the top 15cms or left on the top as a mulch, the worms will drag down the organic matter and help to aerate the soil.
||1 gram per square metre.
|Pack Weight / Area:
When to Sow Phacelia Green Manure Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier