Fodder Radish is a very quick growing green manure. It germinates in about 3-10 days depending on soil temperature. It has the ability to draw up nutrients from the subsoil and also penetrate compacted soils with its strong deep-rooting tap root.
Fodder radish also produces large amounts of foliage which when incorporated into the top layer of soil adds lots of leafy organic matter & helps it improve its moisture-retaining capacity, fertility & soil structure. Fodder Radish is slower to flower than Mustard and produces a deeper root system.
Fodder Radish is also thought to contain chemicals that help suppress nematodes e.g. cyst nematodes which attack potatoes.
It should be sown after the last frosts (May-August) and then can either be cut down on flowering or allowed to die back naturally through winter, used as a mulch and dug in during early spring. If it becomes too long it can be topped to about 20cm and allowed to re-grow.
It is part of the Brassica family and should be treated as such for crop rotation purposes.
Need Some Help On Green Manure?
Then we have 2 invaluable resources on our website that will provide the answers to all of your Green Manure questions:
1. A Beginners Guide that covers everything you ever wanted to know about Green Manure in 5 quick and simple steps - read it [HERE]
2. How To Choose Which Green Manure To Sow...a summary of all the Green Manures showing which soil types, plant families, and benefits that each Green Manure can bring to your veg patch or allotment - read it [HERE]
Fodder Radish Green Manure Seed Information
|When to Sow:
||May, June, July, August.
||2-6 months, may overwinter.
Grows to a height of c.60cm
|Ideal Soil Type:
||No. But will HOLD nitrogen in the sol
|How to Sow:
||Clear weeds especially perennials ones, rake the soil to a fine tilth and broadcast sow seeds at a rate of 1g per sq m. Rake in to a depth of 0.5cm, firm soil and lightly water. Keep moist to help germination.
||The green manure should be cut down before flowering when the stems are nice and soft as they decompose quicker, retain more beneficial nutrients and are easier to incorporate into the soil. They can be dug into the soil by turning over into the top 15cms or left on the top as a mulch, the worms will drag down the organic matter and help to aerate the soil.
||1 gram per square metre.
|Pack Weight / Area:
When to Sow Fodder Radish Green Manure Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier