Cucumber 'Marketmore' is an open-pollinated ridge cucumber that's a reliable and heavy-cropping cucumber producing a tasty harvest of dark green, cylindrical fruits from July onwards. It's the best variety to grow outdoors.
Once you see the tiny cucumbers on the plant, water with tomato food every week. The cucumber won't know it's not a tomato and this will give you bigger fruit. After the cucumber plant has produced 7 true leaves (not including the 2 you get when it sprouts), snip off the growing tip. This makes the plant produce more side shoots, which produce more fruit.
It has a crisp outer skin with a sweet juicy centre that crops early and over a long period. This outdoor cucumber shouldn't be grown near any other variety of cucumber as they may cross-pollinate and this will lead to bitter tasting fruit.
Cucumber Marketmore Vegetable Seed Information
||Approx 25 seeds per pack.
Sunny, sheltered site.
|When to Sow:
Suited to indoor and outdoor cultivation. Sow indoors Feb-May for indoor cropping or later transplanting out May-Jun
|How to Sow:
Indoors - Sow in May in pots under glass at 25C. Glasshouse sowings should be gradually hardened off before planting out. Outdoors - sow in the growing site in June, 60cm between plants, 2 seeds per station.
The plants should be spaced at 50cm apart and a hole dug that is 30cm deep and wide and back-filled with well-rotted manure & a mix of soil. The spot should be topped off with a mound of the surplus soil and the cucumber planted into the top. The mound allows water to drain away from the stem thus preventing stem rot.
Thin to the strongest plant as soon as possible. Water plentifully and often and pick the fruits regularly to ensure a continuous crop. When watering, always use tap water at room temperature to avoid any bacterial infection.
They like a lot of water so keep well-watered especially in dry weather. This ridge type cucumber can be pinched out at the mainstem after 5 leaves have formed to encourage sideshoots. Requires pollination by insects. Do not remove male flowers from this variety. Train up supports with 45 cm spacing. For ground maturing lay straw or plastic to keep fruit clean with 90cm spacing.
||July to September
When to Sow Cucumber Marketmore Vegetable Seeds
RHS Award of Garden Merit
||Cucumber Marketmore Seeds have been awarded the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit (AGM). This award indicates that the plant is recommended by the RHS and helps gardeners make informed choices about plants. [READ MORE]
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier