Coconut Coir (pronounced coy-er) is a growing medium that holds water incredibly well. It is a phenomenal medium for growing Grass, Greens, and Microgreens.
Coconut coir is a lightweight soilless medium made from coconut husks. It’s the substance that you will find in the coconut, between the outer coating to the inner shell. It’s a dark brown and fibrous material with fibres that are very strong and easily managed.
While it used to be considered only a by-product of the coconut industry and has no purpose, it has proven to have fantastic value as an eco-friendly and recognized growing medium. You can plant microgreens directly in coconut coir or mix it with other mediums such as soil.
There are many great benefits of using coconut coir as a growing medium for microgreens. Coconut coir can be used as a stand-alone medium or mixed in with other mediums such as soil or perlite.
Some of the great things about using coconut coir for growing microgreens are:
- It’s 100% organic – It’s really earth-friendly as it’s a completely natural and renewable resource. This makes it an excellent eco-friendly option for environmental sustainability.
- Water retention – One of the key benefits of using coconut coir is its ability to retain water. It has a high water-holding capacity but at the same time maintains excellent drainage which makes it ideal to mix in with soil.
- Neutral PH – It has a neutral PH level which is important for healthy growth. “The pH level makes the difference between having a grow room full of nutrient-healthy, thriving plants, and seeing your time, effort, and money end up as little more than a compost waste pile!” Source: Advance Nutritients
- It’s odourless – It doesn’t create any foul smells and is therefore ideal for indoor growing.
- Bacteria free – It’s free of bacteria and weed seeds which will help microgreens from developing mould and other diseases.
- Strong root growth – It gives the roots plenty of room and provides excellent air exposure. It offers a great combination of water retention, reliable drainage, and ideal aeration.
Benefits of Coir Growing Cubes:
- 100% natural and biodegradable
- Ethically produced and sourced
- The paper used on the discs is a polymer from corn starch and will disintegrate when wet
How to use Coir Growing Cubes:
- Place the 2 growing cubes in a half seed tray - without holes!
- Remove the paper covers
- Cover with 400ml of warm water
- Leave for 30-60 minutes until all the water has been absorbed
- Depending on the consistency you may have to add more water i.e. if looking lightly brown and feeling dry
- Once all water is absorbed and the Coir has expanded, break up and aerate the Coir in the tray
- Level down the surface and you are now ready to sow your Microgreen seeds
We have found that 2 Coir Grow Cubes are sufficient to fill a half seed tray correctly.
Did You Know?
We now stock an increased range of Microgreen and Sprouting seeds, you can find the full range HERE
Feeling daunted by the world of Microgreens and Sprouting and don't know where to start...then why not have a look at our starter kits for inspiration:
And don't forget to join our Microgreen Club and enjoy year-round benefits HERE
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier