Coconut Coir (pronounced coy-er) is a growing medium that holds water incredibly well. It is a phenomenal medium for growing Grass, Greens, and Microgreens.
Coconut coir is a lightweight soilless medium made from coconut husks. It’s the substance that you will find in the coconut, between the outer coating to the inner shell. It’s a dark brown and fibrous material with fibres that are very strong and easily managed.
While it used to be considered only a by-product of the coconut industry and has no purpose, it has proven to have fantastic value as an eco-friendly and recognized growing medium. You can plant microgreens directly in coconut coir or mix it with other mediums such as soil.
There are many great benefits of using coconut coir as a growing medium for microgreens. Coconut coir can be used as a stand-alone medium or mixed in with other mediums such as soil or perlite.
Some of the great things about using coconut coir for growing microgreens are:
- It’s 100% organic – It’s really earth-friendly as it’s a completely natural and renewable resource. This makes it an excellent eco-friendly option for environmental sustainability.
- Water retention – One of the key benefits of using coconut coir is its ability to retain water. It has a high water-holding capacity but at the same time maintains excellent drainage which makes it ideal to mix in with soil.
- Neutral PH – It has a neutral PH level which is important for healthy growth. “The pH level makes the difference between having a grow room full of nutrient-healthy, thriving plants, and seeing your time, effort, and money end up as little more than a compost waste pile!” Source: Advance Nutritients
- It’s odourless – It doesn’t create any foul smells and is therefore ideal for indoor growing.
- Bacteria free – It’s free of bacteria and weed seeds which will help microgreens from developing mould and other diseases.
- Strong root growth – It gives the roots plenty of room and provides excellent air exposure. It offers a great combination of water retention, reliable drainage, and ideal aeration.
Benefits of Coir Growing Cubes:
- 100% natural and biodegradable
- Ethically produced and sourced
- The paper used on the discs is a polymer from corn starch and will disintegrate when wet
How to use Coir Growing Cubes:
- Place 1 growing cube in a half seed tray - without holes!
- Remove the paper covers
- Cover with 500ml of warm water
- Leave for 30-60 minutes until all the water has been absorbed
- Depending on the consistency you may have to add more water i.e. if looking lightly brown and feeling dry
- Once all water is absorbed and the Coir has expanded, break up and aerate the Coir in the tray
- Level down the surface and you are now ready to sow your Microgreen seeds
We have found that 1 Coir Grow Cube is sufficient to fill a half seed tray correctly.
Did You Know?
We now stock an increased range of Microgreen and Sprouting seeds, you can find the full range HERE
Feeling daunted by the world of Microgreens and Sprouting and don't know where to start...then why not have a look at our starter kits for inspiration:
And don't forget to join our Microgreen Club and enjoy year-round benefits HERE
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Orders up to £19.99 pay a flat rate of £1.95
Orders over £20 receive FREE delivery.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.