Carrot Amsterdam Forcing is a quick maturing variety and is ideal for growing early crops under cloches or cold frames. The high quality, small cylindrical roots can be harvested at baby size for deep orange-red carrots with a sweet flavour and virtually no core, making them an ideal variety for container growing. For an ongoing supply, sow these fast-growing carrots at 14-day intervals through spring and early summer.
Try growing carrots with Spring Onion, Leeks, and Mint whose aromatic leaves deter carrot root fly.
For Christmas Carrots, try a September sowing in a large 60cm (24") deep container in a frost-free greenhouse. Under ideal conditions, this variety could be ready to pull 45-50 days after sowing.
Carrot Amsterdam Forcing Vegetable Seed Information
||Approx 1,036 seeds per pack.
Deep, fertile sandy soil free from stones is ideal. Don't grow on ground that has been manured in the last year as it causes forking. A sunny spot is perfect.
|When to Sow:
|How to Sow:
Sow from February under cloches, cold frame or fleece. Sow thinly, directly into a drill 1.5cm deep. Aim for a seed every 2.5cm to avoid the need for too much thinning and sow in rows 15cm apart. If you do need to thin do it at night when the carrot-fly is not around. Lightly cover the seed with fine soil and water carefully with a fine hose. Seedlings should appear at about 17 days.
Water at night and keep watered in dry periods. Try not to weed especially during the day as it may attract carrot-fly.
||February to October. Lift all remaining roots by October, remove soil from the roots and store in dry sand but do not allow the carrots to touch each other as it can cause rotting.
When to Sow Carrot Amsterdam Forcing Vegetable Seeds
RHS Award of Garden Merit
||Carrot Amsterdam Forcing Vegetable Seeds have been awarded the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit (AGM). This award indicates that the plant is recommended by the RHS and helps gardeners make informed choices about plants. [READ MORE]
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier