Beetroot Boltardy is a real winner - a traditional old favourite that has well earned its place as one of our best selling veg seeds. It is easy to grow, very reliable and has rich crimson globe-shaped roots with the wonderful earthy sweet beetroot flavour.
Beetroot Boltardy is a 'bolt resistant' variety. 'Bolting' occurs due to lack of water & this can lead to the roots becoming woody & splitting so it pays to water beetroots regularly. This variety has a long sowing season from March (with added protection eg cloches) until July and grows well in containers or pots. It is best to harvest the roots when the size of cricket balls or smaller (baby beets) as larger ones tend to be tough & woody.
A few small attractive baby leaves can be picked whilst the beetroot is growing and these can be added to salads or steamed like spinach. Beetroot is now being re-invented by cooks & chefs no longer is it just pickled to death in vinegar but used in salads, tartlets with goats cheese even beetroot cakes and ice-cream.
We still pickle some of our beetroots in jars with peppercorns & chillies to use over winter though. They do however store well when carefully picked & kept in a peat-free alternative in a cool shed until the following March.
Homegrown beetroot is delicious!
Beetroot Boltardy Vegetable Seed Information
||Approx 200 seeds per pack.
Any, although sandy soil is particularly good but not freshly manured as it can cause forking. An open sunny spot is ideal or also great in a container.
|When to Sow:
January to July. They are good to sow successionally through the season.
|How to Sow:
Soak the seed in warm water for an hour before sowing (it helps germination), Sow thinly in rows, the rows should be 20cm apart. Cover lightly with 2.5cm of soil. Firm gently and water carefully. Seedlings will start to show 7-21 days.
Thin seeds to 10cm apart.
||June to October. 8-10 weeks from sowing, this is earlier for smaller baby beetroot. The tops can be removed when 5-8cm tall for attractive salad leaves. Twist off the leaves leaving a 2cm stalk and then the beetroot will not bleed. The leaves can be treated as 'cut & come again' leaves.
When to Sow Beetroot Boltardy Vegetable Seeds
RHS Award of Garden Merit
||Beetroot Boltardy Vegetable Seeds have been awarded the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit (AGM). This award indicates that the plant is recommended by the RHS and helps gardeners make informed choices about plants. [READ MORE]
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier