Basil Red Rubin has gorgeous reddish purple leaves with the traditional Sweet basil taste although a little stronger in flavour. It makes a lovely colourful statement plant in the garden as well as an excellent culinary herb and its rich red colour adds a touch of the unique to pasta and pesto dishes.
Basil Red Rubin is easy to grow and produces high yields of quality 7.5cm long leaves, similar to the larger Italian leaf types and it reaches 50cm tall. It produces pretty lavender flowers that can be eaten although it is not best practice to allow the herb to flower at first, as it will quickly go to seed but let it flower later in the season so the bees can have a feast.
Basil Red Rubin unusual but flavoursome colourful leaves enliven mealtimes and brightens up the garden. When cooking with all basil types, tear up the leaves rather than cut them with a knife and add leaves at the last moment so they retain their best flavour.
Basil Red Rubin Herb Seed Information
||Approx 300 seeds per pack.
Sunny, sheltered but well drained soil. Does not like too much of the mid day sun. Also indoors on a windowsill or a greenhouse.
|When to Sow:
|How to Sow:
||Sow seed indoors in trays of seed compost, 6mm deep and cover with finely sieved compost or vermiculite. Cover & keep at a temperature of between 18-20C. Keep watered and germination will take place in about 5-10 days. When the seeds have germinated, water sparingly to prevent 'damping off.' Carefully transplant each seedling to a small pot and grow on for 4 weeks. Either transplant into larger pot (about 15cm) or into garden, spacing plants every 25cm apart, in rows 25cm apart. Only plant in garden when all threat of frost has passed late May to early June. Alternatively sow direct in soil when night time temperatures are above 13C, June time, but the greenhouse method is more successful.
Don't overwater basil but keep moist and don't water foliage. Water in the morning as evening watering can lead to 'damping off'. Pinch out growing tip 2 weeks after final transplant to encourage bushy basil plants.
||Six to eight weeks from sowing - May to September. Successional planting will produce good basil through most of the year, and each basil plant can sustain about 8 cuttings a season. Cut before flowering as this takes away from the taste.
When to Sow Basil Red Rubin Herb Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier