Turnip Purple Top Milan was introduced before 1888 and still as popular as ever is this fine classic turnip variety. Highly ornamental, smooth white bulbs with a bright purple top give a pure white flesh of choice quality: hard, solid and fine-grained.
Turnip Purple Top Milan can be harvested at the baby-veg stage about the size of a radish or a golf ball size or various stages of its development up to tennis ball size. The thinnings can be used as mini-veg and the leaves can also be picked a few at a time and used as greens. Baby-veg Turnip Purple Top Milan can be roasted in a little olive oil, salt and some herbs for a flavoursome unusual side dish or cut into smaller sizes for a larger older turnip.
Turnips are ideal for sowing a few in containers if space is limited and they will be harvested when baby-veg size. Sow regularly through spring, summer and autumn to get a continuous supply through its growing season, September sown seeds may need protection with a cloche in October-November.
Turnips are brassicas so grow them in the brassica bed for crop rotation purposes.
Turnip Purple Top Milan Vegetable Seed Information
||Approx 900 seeds per pack.
Moist, fertile but shady spot.
|When to Sow:
||February - June
|How to Sow:
Prepare the growing site. Pick a sunny spot. Dig over, add lime if needed. Sow when temp. +12°C. February sowings will require cloche protection. Sow in shallow rows 10-20mm deep with 25cm between rows. Cover seed lightly with a little compost. Germination takes 6-10 days approx. When seedlings are large enough to handle thin to 10cm. Keep the soil hoed and remember to water in dry weather.
Water regularly, failure to do so will result in smaller, woodier roots. Rain following a dry spell can cause the root to split if the soil has not been watered. May require protection from cabbage root fly and flea beetle damage.
||May to November. Harvest when 5-8cm diameter.
When to Sow Turnip Purple Top Milan Vegetable Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier