White Clover 'Barblanca' makes as excellent long-term green manure. It has good frost tolerance and once established can last from 2-5 years. White Clover makes a good weed suppressant as it produces a fair amount of foliage and is able to fix nitrogen.
White Clover 'Barblanca' is a low growing variety (15-30cm tall) that can be topped (cut) and this stimulates the roots to grow more & fix more nitrogen. It spreads by a network of creeping stems close to the surface so try not to cut back too harshly. It is shallow rooting and if conditions are dry its growth will slow down.
White Clover can be intercropped & sown in between soft fruit eg blackcurrants or other long-lived perennials and this then acts as a living mulch. It is part of the legume family so treat as such for crop rotation purposes.
Need Some Help On Green Manure?
Then we have 2 invaluable resources on our website that will provide the answers to all of your Green Manure questions:
1. A Beginners Guide that covers everything you ever wanted to know about Green Manure in 5 quick and simple steps - read it [HERE]
2. How To Choose Which Green Manure To Sow...a summary of all the Green Manures showing which soil types, plant families, and benefits that each Green Manure can bring to your veg patch or allotment - read it [HERE]
White Clover Green Manure Seed Information
|When to Sow:
||March, April, May, June, July, August.
6 months or 2-5 years.
Grows to a height of c.15-30cm
|Ideal Soil Type:
||Most especially silt loam & clay soils but can be tolerant of poor drainage.
|How to Sow:
||Clear weeds especially perennials ones, rake the soil to a fine tilth and broadcast sow seeds at a rate of 1.5g per sq m. Rake in to a depth of 0.5cm, firm soil and lightly water. Keep moist to help germination.
||The green manure should be cut down before flowering when the stems are nice and soft as they decompose quicker, retain more beneficial nutrients and are easier to incorporate into the soil. They can be dug into the soil by turning over into the top 15cms or left on the top as a mulch, the worms will drag down the organic matter and help to aerate the soil.
||1.5 grams per square metre.
|Pack Weight / Area:
When to Sow White Clover Green Manure Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier