Sweet Clover 'Yellow Blossom' is an aggressive green manure that grows rapidly and has very strong roots that penetrate hard compacted soils that helps to improve drainage. It also produces lots of leafy foliage that adds good organic matter to the soil when dug in which improves soil structure. It has an open growth habit so not as good as other clovers at suppressing weeds.
Sweet Clover 'Yellow Blossom' vigorous root system is also good at drawing up minerals like phosphorous & potassium as well as nitrogen, so a good all-rounder.
It is naturally biennial so can be left to overwinter when it will flower in spring of the 2nd year these yellow flowers are sweet-smelling & loved by bees/insects and can grow to over 1m tall. However, it can then become very aggressive and must not be allowed to set seed otherwise it will become a problem. It can be topped (cut down) once well established but leave a fairly good length of stubble.
This green manure needs particular attention so it does not overstay its welcome but it does give good results with careful handling. It is part of the legume family and should be treated as such for crop rotation purposes.
Need Some Help On Green Manure?
Then we have 2 invaluable resources on our website that will provide the answers to all of your Green Manure questions:
1. A Beginners Guide that covers everything you ever wanted to know about Green Manure in 5 quick and simple steps - read it [HERE]
2. How To Choose Which Green Manure To Sow...a summary of all the Green Manures showing which soil types, plant families, and benefits that each Green Manure can bring to your veg patch or allotment - read it [HERE]
Sweet Clover Green Manure Seed Information
|When to Sow:
||March, April, May, August, September.
||Up to 2 years.
Grows to a maximum height of c.120cm
|Ideal Soil Type:
||Most. Does well on hard compacted soils, waterlogged soils, drought-resistant & tolerates poor soil.
||Yes, if certain bacteria are present in the soil.
|How to Sow:
||Remove weeds, especially perennials, rake the soil and broadcast seed at a rate of 1.5g per sq m. Rake into a depth of 1-2cm, firm soil and lightly water in. Germination should take between 7-14 days.
||The green manure should be cut down before flowering when the stems are nice and soft as they decompose quicker, retain more beneficial nutrients and are easier to incorporate into the soil. They can be dug into the soil by turning over into the top 15cms or left on the top as a mulch, the worms will drag down the organic matter and help to aerate the soil.
||1.5 grams per square metre.
|Pack Weight / Area:
When to Sow Sweet Clover Green Manure Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier