Yellow Rattle (Rhinanthus Minor), also known as Hay Rattle wildflower seed, is the must-have plant if you are wanting to successfully grow a wildflower meadow. It is a parasitic plant that will reduce grasses by weakening them and allowing the annual and perennial flowers to establish themselves.
Monty Don refers to Yellow Rattle as the 'meadow maker' in episode 21 of BBC Gardeners World. This episode with Monty shows how to sow a wildflower meadow and is well worth watching if you need some guidance on what to do to create your own wildflower meadow.
RHS Perfect for Pollinators.
The RHS Perfect for Pollinators mark is only given to plants that support pollinating insects in gardens. Bees, butterflies, moths, hoverflies and many others visit flowers to feed on nectar and pollen; while doing so they transfer pollen and increase seed set and fruit development.
Yellow Rattle Wild Flower Seed Information
|When to Sow:
Indoors: February - March
Outdoors: August to December
Flowers: June to September the following year
|Soil / Site Conditions:
||Most soils, sunny or part-shaded site.
|How to Sow:
The most successful time to direct sow is August through to October (following natures natural cycle) or alternatively sow indoors February to March and plant out at Autumn.
Either scarify the grass, aiming for a minimum 50% bare soil, or sow directly into topsoil. Broadcast the seed at a rate of 2gm per sq metre (The seed can be mixed with sharp sand to ensure a more even spread). Walk over the seeded area ensuring that the total ground is walked upon. This is to ensure that the seeds are in contact with the soil, which is vital for germination.
Carefully water during dry weather, and keep on top of removing weeds until the Yellow Rattle begins to establish. In the first year after germination high cut the sward in late Summer Following years should see the wildflower meadow cut in Mar/Apr to 7.5cm and the second cut in Aug/Oct.
Germination of wildflower seeds can be erratic and some species require vernalisation before germination in spring of the following year, e.g. a period of prolonged cold temperatures.
||1 gram per square metre.
|Pack Weight / Area:
When to Sow Yellow Rattle Wild Flower Seed
General Wildflower Seed Information & Advice
Follow the links below for more information on Wildflowers:
> Video Monty Don Showing How To Sow A Wildflower Meadow
> Wildflower Seed Sowing Advice
> Benefits of Growing Wildflowers
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier