Cress Plain has all the attributes of the curled variety but a slightly stronger flavour with different leaf formations to give variation and texture to a salad. It is a dual-purpose type that can be grown indoors on your window sill or, broadcast directly into your soil outside.
Cress Plain / Common is fast, furious & ready to harvest in 6-8 days. It couldn't be easier to start kids off growing with cress. Cress can be sown indoors throughout the year on moist cotton wool or kitchen roll and harvested within a week.
Capture children's imagination and sow some seed in a face decorated empty eggshell. Fill it with moist cotton wool and watch each day as 'egg person's hair' grows - then trim it & eat it.
A great little crop that perks up egg sandwiches and can be used as a garnish. It's not just for kids!
Cress Plain / Common Vegetable Seed Information
Indoors: In a warm, light position, a windowsill is ideal - either in a small plastic container or just on a plate.
Outdoors: Directly into a shallow drill in the vegetable patch or raised bed. Sow them into window boxes and patio containers if you are short on garden space.
|When to Sow:
|How to Sow:
Can be sown in compost in small punnets, on soaked tissue paper on a saucer or broadcast in small blocks in the garden.
Sprinkle your cress seeds onto the surface of a damp piece of kitchen towel. Gently press the seeds down to ensure they make contact with the moisture, place the towel into a shallow container and cover with cling film to prevent them from drying out.
After about a week of growing on tissue, your seedlings will start to suffer from a lack of nutrients. To produce mature cress plants, you will need to sow your cress seeds onto a layer of seed compost. They will germinate within a few days if they are kept moist.
Cress for salad garnishing is an all year crop but in the midst of winter use warm water and move away from cold windows
||6-8 days from sowing. Just trim off shoots as required with scissors.
Did You Know?
We now stock growing essentials for Microgeen and Sprouting growers, you can find the full range HERE
Feeling daunted by the world of Microgreens and Sprouting and don't know where to start...then why not have a look at our starter kits for inspiration:
And don't forget to join our Microgreen Club and enjoy year-round benefits HERE
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier