Kohl Rabi Ballot F1 looks like it should come from outer space. It is a very unusual looking purple veg with long tendrils and is actually a swollen stem rather than a root.
It is very popular in Germany and 'kohl' is German for 'cabbage'. It is also known as German turnip and is a cruciferous vegetable. It is increasing in popularity here as interest in growing home veg is on the up. It has a slightly nutty taste with overtones of celery/cabbage and is great in soups/casseroles, steamed/mashed with butter as a side dish or raw in salads/coleslaw.
The leaves can also be eaten. It is at it's best when harvested at the size of a golf/tennis ball - any larger and they lose their tenderness and get woody. Sow successionally rather than all at once as they need to be eaten within a week or two of being ready.
This is an early maturing variety and only takes about 75-80 days from sowing to harvest. Kohl Rabi can have a tendency to bolt but this variety is resistant to bolting, stem splitting and lignification.
Despite its name, kohlrabi is not a root vegetable and does not belong to the turnip family. Instead, it belongs to the Brassica genus of plants and is related to cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower and should be treated as such for crop rotation purposes. It is a good catch crop, does well in large containers and is good for baby-veg production.
Kohl Rabi Ballot Vegetable Seed Information
||Approx 30 seeds per pack.
Open site with high pH.
|When to Sow:
||Under cover - Feb to mid July. Outside - April to July.
|How to Sow:
||Sow under cover in modules from late Feb. Plant out when about 5cm tall after a period of 'hardening off'. Space 15cm apart in rows 30cm apart. Alternatively, direct sow seeds in a drill 13mm deep in rows 30cm apart and thin to one every 15cm.
Make sure they are well-watered, soak the soil in dry periods and keep weed free.
||July to mid December.
When to Sow Kohl Rabi Ballot Vegetable Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier