Italian Ryegrass is an annual/biennial grass that is winter hardy and can be grown for up to 2 years but it will require cutting during the growing season to encourage new growth and prevent it going to seed in the 2nd year. It is good at suppressing weeds and although not as bulky as Forage Rye it is easier to dig in after winter. It fits into any bed in a crop rotation plan.
Italian Rye helps to protect the soil from erosion and leaching especially during winter and its extensive root system is adept at dredging up the minerals that may have been washed away during winter rains. Italian Rye is particularly good at lifting the nitrates in the soil and releasing them slowly (once dug in) to the following crop.
Italian Ryegrass is often combined with Red Clover as clover is brilliant at collecting Nitrogen but when dug in it rapidly decomposes & quickly releases the nitrogen. This is great for nitrogen hungry crops like brasssicas that are planted straight after but by combining with Italian Rye the rate of release is slower even up to 6 months later. (A ratio of 3/4 Italian Rye to 1/4 Red Clover is recommended). Red Clover also has excellent ground cover & weed suppressing properties to help smother weeds. Note Red Clover is part of the Legume family for crop rotation purposes.
American research has also shown that in large-scale production a combination of Alfalfa & Italian Ryegrass increases the yield of Alfalfa. (2/3 Alfalfa to 1/3 Italian Rye).
Italian Ryegrass mixes well with other green manures just select ones appropriate to your soil type, length of time and plant family for crop rotation required and have a go at making up your own mix.
Need Some Help On Green Manure?
Then we have 2 invaluable resources on our website that will provide the answers to all of your Green Manure questions:
1. A Beginners Guide that covers everything you ever wanted to know about Green Manure in 5 quick and simple steps - read it [HERE]
2. How To Choose Which Green Manure To Sow...a summary of all the Green Manures showing which soil types, plant families, and benefits that each Green Manure can bring to your veg patch or allotment - read it [HERE]
Italian Ryegrass Green Manure Seed Information
|When to Sow:
March - October.
Can be sown in temperatures above 3 degrees
|Ideal Soil Type:
||No. Nitrogen LIFTER
|How to Sow:
||Prepare the soil by roughly digging it over and removing any weeds. Lightly tread the soil, and then sow the seeds by broadcast sowing (i.e. scattering evenly) for good coverage. Rows can be sown but are not as good for weed suppression. Rake the soil and water well. In dry periods you may need to water until the green manure is established.
||The green manure should be cut down before flowering when the stems are nice and soft as they decompose quicker, retain more beneficial nutrients and are easier to incorporate into the soil. They can be dug into the soil by turning over into the top 15cms or left on the top as a mulch, the worms will drag down the organic matter and help to aerate the soil.
||10 grams per square metre.
|Pack Weight / Area:
When to Sow Italian Ryegrass Green Manure Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier