Vegetable Seeds from Sow Seeds Ltd
Onion shoots are a great way to grow flavourful thin green shoots that pack an oniony punch and make a lovely decorative garnish to top off dishes from soup to fish or chicken to canapes.
They can be grown as micro-leaves or sprouting seeds and are easy to grow. It is best to pre-soak seeds for 12 hours before sowing for sprouting seeds but this is not necessary for micro-leaves.
How to grow Onion Sprouting Seeds:
Wide mouth jars
- Make sure that the jars are super clean and sterile
- Use screw top lid and simply drill or punch several holes in the lid – but not too large, the water needs to be able to drain, but not the seed!
- An alternative could be Muslin cloth secured with a rubber band around the neck of the jar
- Replacement lid with fine sieve built-in
Place seeds in the bottom of the jar and cover with water
2. Use water that is at room temperature…water that is either too hot or too cold can shock the seeds. Coldwater can also slow the germination process
3. Don't put too much seed in the jar, allow the seed sufficient room to expand…insufficient space will lead to mould issues as air cannot circulate sufficiently
- After the initial soak, the water needs to be emptied and filled back up with room temperature water
- Turn the jar upside down and let the water drain out, the seeds should be left damp and not swimming in water
- Rinse 2-3 times per day with room temperature water
- Continue the rinse cycle until harvest
Hulls may be removed but they are not harmful to eat, removal helps to minimise spoilage in storage.
Onion Sprouting Seeds Information
|Seed Quantity:||Approx 20g per pack.
|When to Sow:||
Indoors from January to December.
|How to Sow:||
For micro-leaves sow seeds 5mm deep into good quality seed compost and cover with vermiculite and water carefully. Can be sown on top of kitchen roll/cotton wool but extra care is needed to ensure the seeds do not dry out before germination.
For sprouting seeds, pre-soak seeds in water for 12 hours before rinsing seed and placing in sprouting jar. Rinse with water twice daily.
Keep seeds well-watered, use a spray water bottle so as not to displace the seeds when grown as micro-leaves.
|Harvest:||January-December. 16 days for micro-leaves or 5-6 days for sprouting seeds.|
When to Sow Onion Sprouting Seeds
All orders are usually dispatched the next working working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK and Ireland.
Click here to view our delivery charges.