Fenugreek Sprouting Seeds have quite a strong 'curryish' taste and it is better to use a little at a time. They are also a great aid for digestion.
Fenugreek or "methi", is one of the most popular and widespread ingredients in India. Domesticated and harvested for more than 6,000 years, Fenugreek has been grown for both its delicious, fragrant maple-scent seeds as well as its aromatic leaves used in Turkish, Iranian, Egyptian, and Georgian cuisines. Fenugreek seeds are an essential component to the traditional Indian Five-Spice Blend (Panch phoron) including cumin seed, black mustard seed, fennel seed, and nigella seed. Still growing in popularity as both a herb and a seed, Fenugreek sprouts are more popular than ever before.
Fenugreek has been used in traditional Asian medicine to help alleviate menstrual cramps as well as improve breast milk production and flow. Fenugreek has a distinctive curry-like flavour and is incredibly nutritious.
Fenugreek can be grown as both a microgreen and a sprout.
How to grow Fenugreek Sprouting Seeds:
1. Make sure that the Sprouter is super clean and sterile.
2. Place the seeds in the bottom of the Sprouter (no grid tray in place).
3. Cover the seeds with tepid water. Stir the seeds to ensure that all the seeds get soaked, a vital process for smaller seeds. (Use water that is at room temperature, water that is either too hot or too cold can shock the seeds and also slow the germination process).
Don't put too much seed in the tray, allow the seed sufficient room to expand… insufficient space will lead to mould issues as air cannot circulate sufficiently.
4. After the initial soak of 8-12 hours, skim off any floating seeds, empty the water by using the grid tray, so that the seeds get caught in the grid, the seeds should be left damp and not swimming in water. Drain as much of the water as possible.
NOTE - if using small seeds then the Bamboo paper needs to be placed on top of the grid otherwise the seeds will fall through the grid tray!
5. Place grid tray with seeds in the Sprouter and cover with clear lid.
6. Rinse 2-3 times per day with room temperature water, by running water through the seeds on the grid tray. Use lots of water and if possible, rinse under high-pressure water. Drain as much of the water as possible.
7. Continue rinse cycle until harvest.
8. Let the sprouts sit for 8-12 hours after their final rinse and extremely thorough drain before refrigerating them.
Hulls may be removed but they are not harmful to eat, removal helps to minimise spoilage in storage.
Fenugreek may be harvested at any time you like. You are not required to go past short roots. Taste often to find your preference.
Culture for Growing As A Microgreen
Soak the seeds for 8-12 hours. Drain and rinse.
1. Sow your seeds directly on thoroughly moistened medium in a tray with holes, place in another tray without holes
2. Place another tray on top to keep light out and moisture in
3. Do NOT water until after the seeds germinate
4. Keep the medium moist by watering lightly as needed. Don't drench!
5. When the plants have 2 leaves remove the tray cover and move to a well-lit location
6. Harvest when the leaves have fully developed,using scissors or a sharp knife and cut just above the medium
Did You Know?
We now stock growing essentials for Microgeen and Sprouting growers, you can find the full range HERE
Feeling daunted by the world of Microgreens and Sprouting and don't know where to start...then why not have a look at our starter kits for inspiration:
And don't forget to join our Microgreen Club and enjoy year-round benefits HERE
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier