Cauliflower Snowball is described as an early cauliflower, Snowball is in fact far more versatile than that and can be used for spring, summer, autumn and winter production. A dwarf compact plant that can be set closer than other cauliflowers.
First bred in America in the 1890s there probably still isn't a better cauliflower to grow in the garden. The compact plants produce a good crop of 13 - 15 cm pure white cauliflower heads that are tightly packed to the point of being solid and of superb quality. They can be forced and they freeze well too.
Recommended by the RHS to be an excellent attractant and nectar source for bees and other beneficial insects if allowed to 'go over' and flower (so if you have room leave any plants in that have gone too far rather than pulling them out straight away).
Catch crops can also be sown under cauliflowers to help increase the productivity of the patch such as radishes, lettuce or salad leaves. Or you could alternate your plantings with companion plants such as onions or garlic to confuse pests.
Cauliflower Snowball Vegetable Seed Information
||Approx 150 seeds per pack.
Full sun, fertile, firm soil that is moisture retentive.
|When to Sow:
||Sow seeds January to February under glass. March to May outdoors or September to October in coldframes to overwinter.
|How to Sow:
||Sow in modules/cells 1cm deep and plant out when 7-10cm tall (after 'hardening off' for 3-4 days) usually 5-6 weeks after sowing. Germination is usually 7-10 days. Space plants 60cm apart for large heads or for mini crops space 30cm apart. Soil must be firm, so tread down soil well after planting. Seeds can also be sown outdoors in a well-prepared seed bed from March to May, and the seedlings transplanted to their final position 6 weeks later.
Keep well-watered as shortage can lead to cauliflowers bolting. Keep an eye out for pest such as slugs/snails, pigeons or carrot root fly etc and diseases like club root, downy mildew and mosaic virus. Keep weed free.
In hot weather it will be necessary to fold and tie the leaves over the curds, known as blanching, in order to prevent the sun browning the curds.
||For Early Cropping
Harvest approximately June-September.
For Main Cropping
Harvest from approximately August-October.
For Winter Cropping
Harvest approximately December - March.
Harvest approximately May-June.
When to Sow Cauliflower Snowball Vegetable Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier