Broad Bean Crimson Flowered is a gorgeous heritage variety that dates back to 1777. It produces beautiful crimson flowers that will brighten up any ornamental edible garden and produces a good quantity of tasty broad beans too!
Broad Bean Crimson Flowered produces upright, short pods with 3-4 beans per pod on a plant that reaches 90cm high by 30cm wide. It is a sturdy plant but will require staking especially when laden with pods and lots of water when the pods are forming.
Broad Bean Crimson Flowered can be sown direct in early spring (March-April) or late autumn (September-October) for an earlier crop, it's a good idea to use a cloche to encourage germination and protect young seedlings. Alternatively, sow into root-trainers January to February and plant out March to April after a period of hardening off.
Broad Bean Crimson Flowered has been around for centuries and is well worth growing for its beautiful flowers followed by its plump, delicious beans.
If you want to boost your harvests then intersow with Birdsfoot Trefoil...why?
Read our blog HERE for further information.
Broad Bean Crimson Flowered Vegetable Seed Information
||Approx 35 seeds per pack.
Full sun, any soil type although rich free draining soil is best.
|When to Sow:
Direct March-April, September-October or into root-trainers January-February (under glass).
|How to Sow:
Sow 5cm deep in a double staggered row 20cm apart. If planting another double staggered row plant 50cm apart. If the soil is moist they can be pushed into the ground or alternatively dig a little hole with a hand trowel. Sow a few spare at the end of the row, so these can be transplanted if there are some failures. Seedlings will germinate within 7-14 days. Water and keep well watered in dry periods.
They will need support so build a frame using bamboo canes and netting, and as the beans grow twine them through the netting. When the first beans begin to form, pinch out the top 8cm to encourage the plants' energy into forming more pods. This also helps to discourage blackfly who love the tender shoots. Make sure crops are well watered throughout the season. It pays to protect the crop with cloches or similar protection in very cold periods.
||June to August.
When to Sow Broad Bean Crimson Flowered Vegetable Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier