Yellow Trefoil 'Black Medick' is a low growing green manure that has excellent weed-suppressing properties. It is good at fixing nitrogen and if allowed to flower encourages bees & beneficial insects to the area which in turn pollinate veg crops.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YELLOW TREFOIL IS OUT OF STOCK FOR 2022
DUE TO POOR 2021 HARVESTS.
BIRDSFOOT TREFOIL DELIVERS THE SAME BENEFITS...SHOP [HERE]
Yellow Trefoil is great for interplanting taller crops which have open canopies like beans, tomatoes, potatoes, sweetcorn & especially long-standing brassicas which overwinter. It is however mainly grown as a summer green manure to help against weed suppression and retain soil moisture.
The benefits of intersowing:
- Retains soil moisture during the summer
- Suppresses weed growth
- Provides a haven for pollinators
- Shelter for a myriad of insects
- A green manure after the main crop - just leave to overwinter and the frosts will knock it back leaving a layer of mulch on the surface!
Yellow Trefoil can be sown between March to August by broadcast sowing just before or as the main crop is establishing e.g. sweetcorn should be at least 15cm tall before sowing trefoil so it does not compete with the seedlings at an early stage. To aid germination keep soil moist. If Yellow Trefoil becomes too tall it can be cut back and the cuttings can be composted or left on the surface as a mulch.
When the veg crop has been harvested, either dig Yellow Trefoil into the soil (15-18cm deep) or leave over winter to protect the soil. It is not generally sown to overwinter as it is not totally winter hardy. It is part of the legume family for crop rotation purposes.
Need Some Help On Green Manure?
Then we have 2 invaluable resources on our website that will provide the answers to all of your Green Manure questions:
1. A Beginners Guide that covers everything you ever wanted to know about Green Manure in 5 quick and simple steps - read it [HERE]
2. How To Choose Which Green Manure To Sow...a summary of all the Green Manures showing which soil types, plant families, and benefits that each Green Manure can bring to your veg patch or allotment - read it [HERE]
Yellow Trefoil Green Manure Seed Information
|When to Sow:
||March, April, May, June, July, August.
||3 months up to 1 year.
Grows to a height of c.20-30cm
||Copes with light dry soils, preferably not acid.
|How to Sow:
||Remove weeds especially perennials, rake the soil and broadcast seed at a rate of 1.5g per sqm. Rake in to a depth of 1cm, firm soil and lightly water in.
||The green manure should be cut down before flowering when the stems are nice and soft as they decompose quicker, retain more beneficial nutrients and are easier to incorporate into the soil. They can be dug into the soil by turning over into the top 15cms or left on the top as a mulch, the worms will drag down the organic matter and help to aerate the soil.
||1.5 grams per square metre.
|Pack Weight / Area:
When to Sow Yellow Trefoil Green Manure Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier