Onion shoots are a great way to grow flavourful thin green shoots that pack an oniony punch and make a lovely decorative garnish to top off dishes from soup to fish or chicken to canapes.
They can be grown as micro-leaves or sprouting seeds and are easy to grow. It is best to pre-soak seeds for 12 hours before sowing for sprouting seeds but this is not necessary for micro-leaves.
How to grow Onion Sprouting Seeds:
Wide mouth jars
- Make sure that the jars are super clean and sterile
- Use screw top lid and simply drill or punch several holes in the lid óÁÌÎ̝ÌÎ̥ but not too large, the water needs to be able to drain, but not the seed!
- An alternative could be Muslin cloth secured with a rubber band around the neck of the jar
- Replacement lid with fine sieve built-in
Place seeds in the bottom of the jar and cover with water
2. Use water that is at room temperature óÁÌÎ̝_water that is either too hot or too cold can shock the seeds. Coldwater can also slow the germination process
3. Don't put too much seed in the jar, allow the seed sufficient room to expand óÁÌÎ̝_insufficient space will lead to mould issues as air cannot circulate sufficiently
- After the initial soak, the water needs to be emptied and filled back up with room temperature water
- Turn the jar upside down and let the water drain out, the seeds should be left damp and not swimming in water
- Rinse 2-3 times per day with room temperature water
- Continue the rinse cycle until harvest
Hulls may be removed but they are not harmful to eat, removal helps to minimise spoilage in storage.
Alternatively, they can be grown as a Micro-green:
- Soak seeds for 8-12 hours
- Rinse and drain thoroughly
- Plant 2-3 teaspoons of seed for a 5x5 tray on thoroughly moistened compost
- Cover your crop with another tray, or a plate - to keep light out and moisture in.
- Keep your compost moist by watering lightly as needed. Don't drench!
- Use Coconut Coir and you likely won't have to water at all after planting!
- When your plants have begun to show leaves, remove the cover and move your crop to a well-lit location.
- Harvest when the leaves are open and 2cm - 7cm tall (day 5-14).
- Cut just above the medium, with scissors or sharp knife.
Onion Sprouting Seeds Information
||Approx 20g per pack.
|When to Sow:
Indoors from January to December.
Keep seeds well-watered, use a spray water bottle so as not to displace the seeds when grown as micro-leaves.
||January-December. 16 days for micro-leaves or 5-6 days for sprouting seeds.
When to Sow Onion Sprouting Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, sorry .
Click here to view our delivery charges.