Amaranth Red (also known as Calaloo, Rajgira, Lal Saag) have intense reddish leaves with cherry pink stems and has a slightly nutty flavour. It is very easy and quick to grow and can be eaten as a microgreen, babyleaf or up to mature leaf size.
Aztec tribes consumed Amaranth for 80% of their diet!
Amaranth has 30% more protein than rice!
And it also adds a mega fibre boost to your diet too!
Amaranth Red adds colour, flavour and texture to a fresh home-grown gourmet salad when harvested at microgreen or babyleaf stage but large mature sized leaves should be steamed and used like spinach.
Amaranth Red grows at a rate of knots and can germinate within 3 days and will be ready to eat at microgreen stage within 5-7 days and baby leaves take up to 3-4 weeks. Amaranth Red Army is quick and easy to grow and can be used at different stages of development and is a great leaf to add flavour and colour to meal times.
Amaranth also is a great spinach replacement when grown outdoors. If you find that your spinach and chard bolt in summer, then this veg positively thrives in the hot weather!
Amaranth Red Vegetable Seed Information
||Approx 600 seeds per pack.
Prefers well-drained, moist soil in full sun or seed trays/pots for microgreens.
|When to Sow
Indoors Jan-Dec or Outdoors March-May (cloche) to September.
|How to Sow:
Microgreens can be sown all year indoors in seeds trays. Sow seed thinly on compost & lightly cover with a sprinkle of compost and water gently. Alternatively, direct sow seed thinly outside (March-September) in a drill 0.5cm deep, in rows 15cm apart. March-May & September sowings will need added protection e.g. cloche. Thin seedlings to 5cm apart for babyleaf or 15cm for larger leaf production, the thinnings can be used for salads. Keep well watered.
Late summer sowings can be covered with a cloche etc to extend cropping into winter. Keep well watered. Regularly pick leaves to encourage fresh new growth.
||All year with indoor microgreens or April to November outside.
When to Sow Amaranth Red Vegetable Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier