Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) is a non-edible perennial native wildflower with attractive drooping clusters of blue, purple, pink or cream, bell-shaped flowers in early summer.
Well known for centuries as a medicinal plant, but the leaves are now regularly used as a compost activator helping the breakdown of other compost materials. Comfrey is also often used as a mulch or as liquid green manure.
Comfrey makes a great feed for Tomatoes and Potatoes.
A true wonder plant in the garden:
- It can be used to improve the soil
- Grow your own organic liquid feed for anything that fruits
- It can be harvested 3 or 4 times per year
- A magnet for bee's
Do you know why the bee's like Comfrey so much...it only takes the Comfrey plant 40 mins to nectarise, providing a new food source for the bee's...typically flowering plants can take up to 3 days to nectarise.
Read our guide on how to make a Comfrey Liquid Tea Feed/Fertiliser [HERE]
Comfrey Herb Seed Information
||Approx 48 seeds per pack.
Prefers a fertile, moist soil in full or partial shade. Vigorous, choose planting site with care as this will over-power smaller plants.
|When to Sow:
February-April indoors or outdoors March - June
|How to Sow:
Sow indoors in autumn or directly in spring. Indoors fill 10cm pots with moist well-drained seed compost, sow seeds 6mm deep, allow 2 per pot. Ideal temp. 20C. If germination has not occurred in 3-4 weeks cold stratify. Move to -4C-+4C. for 2-4 weeks then return to warmth. Water as required. Plant out in spring. Direct sow thinly 10mm deep in rows 30cm apart. When large enough to handle thin to 60cm spacing.
Comfrey foliage can be harvested 3 or 4 times throughout the summer. Caution: Comfrey is harmful if eaten. Contact with the foliage may irritate the skin and eyes. Use gloves when harvesting.
||June - August.
When to Sow Comfrey Herb Seeds
All orders are dispatched the next working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK. Due to new BREXIT regulations, we can no longer supply to the Republic of Ireland, sorry.
Click here to view our delivery charges.
As a small family business we value your custom and your loyalty and we want to reward you for continuing to shop with us.
Our BUY MORE, SAVE MORE initiative is designed to offer you regular savings every time you shop for seeds.
No gimmicks and no hidden clauses.
We have made the scheme simple, straightforward, and transparent...
Here is our version of the small print, because you will have some questions...
- You will need to be signed up to our newsletter, otherwise we cannot contact you. You can sign up by clicking HERE
- Minimum order value to qualify is £12 before postage charges
- The scheme will run until 31st December 2022 and is applicable on all items. We do reserve the right to withdraw the scheme before the 31st December 2022
- After every purchase you will be emailed a personalised discount code based on the tier level
- The discount code will be valid for 120 days and will then expire
- The discount code will need to be entered at the checkout
- If you forget to enter the code after you have placed an order we cannot refund the discount as the process is entirely automatic
- You will move to the next tier once the required number of orders are reached e.g. you have placed 2 orders, you will then be emailed a 25% discount code for the 3-4 order tier