Seed Collection from Sow Seeds Ltd
This Seed Collection includes 5 different packs of Basil seeds, each complete with full sowing instructions. Each collection is elegantly wrapped in a band making an ideal gift for gardening friends or relatives.
It's strange to think that Basil is a relatively new herb to the UK, really only coming to our attention in the 1970's when we first began to try the then exotic Margherita Pizza with the little black olive in the middle (that no-one ate) or frozen, taste lacking Lasagne. Nowadays our tastes have broadened and so has our knowledge of Italian flavours. A tomato sauce, the basis for so many Italian dishes lacks flavour without a bunch of fresh Basil leaves.
As home-growers we can grow different many varieties that are just not available in the shops and enjoy the subtle different tastes and appearance of these flavoursome leaves. And as basil loses it flavour quickly, growing at home is the best way to pick fresh, flavoursome leaves as and when needed and as a 'cut & come again' plants there will be regular supplies of aromatic leaves throughout the summer.
We have chosen 5 varieties of Basil to show the subtleties in flavour and appearance of these tasty aromatic leaves for our Basil Bush - Boom Boom collection.
- Basil Sweet Genovese - the traditional plump dark green leaf that is so full of flavour and the basis of many an Italian sauce.
- Greek Basil - has small leaves with a soft, sweet taste basil and makes a lovely dome shaped plant perfect for a terracotta pot.
- Lime Basil - adds a zesty citrus flavour to savoury & sweet dishes and to drinks like Gin & Tonic. It also makes a refreshing, invigorating herbal tea!
- Basil Red Rubin - ruby red/purple leaves adds a touch of the unique & a splash of colour to pasta and pesto but with a slightly stronger flavour than the traditional fragrant basil leaves.
- Basil Sweet Thai - fragrant green leaves with an aniseed flavour that goes so well with Oriental cooking, stir-fries and Thai dishes.
All orders are usually dispatched the next working working day and are delivered either via Royal Mail 2nd Class Delivery (3-5 working day service) or 48 Hour Parcel Courier (depending on size and weight). These delivery times shown are to be used as a guide and are not guaranteed.
Please note, we are unable to deliver seeds to countries outside the UK and Ireland.
Click here to view our delivery charges.